The Muslim Citizen Council (MCC) views with great concern the unnecessary societaltensions that are being hatched nowadays by reckless arsonist. We strongly believe thatsuch irresponsible acts could endanger the peaceful co-existence among the differentcommunities in our paradise like island.Several events that had taken place lately have led to this disturbing condition.
- During a rally and Road Show in the area of St Pierre, organised by highlyirresponsible persons, the demonstrators cheered racial provocation and jeered racistslogans. Moreover, racist banners were displayed on vehicles, as the group was‘escorted’ by the Mauritius Police Force.
- A Police Officer overtly held sectarian comments against the Muslim community,during a nocturnal gathering, where a member of the National Assembly was present.
- Acts of vandalism against places of worship, which are alarming and reflect theempowerment of hate have been noted these recent days. There is no denying thatact of vandalism is bad and if it happens in places of worship - places that peoplerevere - it points to an even bigger problem, that people are not scared of even God.
- Ill-intentioned persons are using the social media with the view to wreak havoc thatcould lead to serious consequences. The rapid spread of false information anddeliberate misinformation is a growing threat to our society. The Quran says: “O you who have believed, if there comes to you a disobedient one withinformation, investigate, lest you harm a people out of ignorance and become,over what you have done, regretful.” 49:6
- In the context of the commemoration of the 183th Anniversary of the arrival ofIndentured Labourers in Mauritius, the choice of the Guest of Honour, YogiAdityanath, one of the most polarising politicians in India, has also given rise totension among different communities. The peaceful Mauritian Citizen dread to haveinflammatory speech from him that could disturb our way of life.
- In the wake of the by-elections, it is noted with disappointment that the politicians’discourses are filled with crudity and vulgar abuse of language. Never before had webeen subjected to this level of language for political persuasion.
The MCC vehemently condemns and expresses its strong concern to the above-mentionedcases and about the rise of hatred among the various components of our multi-culturalsociety. We therefore, urges the government in power to help defuse this situation with thefull might at its disposal.
The MCC calls upon all sides to immediately and unconditionally cease these disgustingacts and to refrain from further acts of provocation and to work together towards nationalreconciliation. Such incidents tear communities apart and can escalate into even morehatred.
Finally, the MCC avers that it is only through a consistent and unified approach across alllevels of society that we have a chance of combating the scourge of hatred that seeks tosow division and fear in our society.
2 November 2017
P.S.The Muslim Citizen Council is largest Muslim umbrella body with over 60 affiliated local organisations, mosques and Islamic Institutions.